Thursday, June 5, 2014

Wrapping Up!


I put the finishing touches on my OER course this week, and I feel pretty good about what I've put together. While I consider this a work in progress, I feel like I can roll into fall term with my Math 4 course ready to go for my students.

I've really enjoyed this project, because it's prompted me to do things that I've intended to do for a long time. My students now have a text book customized to our curriculum, practice materials for every lesson, and a bank of resources to help them outside of class. It took some time to put all of this together - I knew that would be the case, but it took more time than I anticipated - but I consider it time well spent.

Given that I teach students at the developmental level, I'm always challenged to find materials that meet them at both their academic level and level of maturity. My students are adults - while they may need to learn skills that are generally taught in middle or high school, they don't want to solve problems about a kid saving his allowance for a video game. I had to wade through a lot of that type of material to find what I wanted, but I'm pleased to say that I was able to find resources that appeal to a more universal audience, or can be edited to make them more age-appropriate for my students.

My wrap-up video covers a few of the main OER resources that I used in constructing my class; for a more complete list, check out my next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment